THE FIRST EXAMPLE OF EUROPEAN MODERNISM IN TEXAS...
The Magnolia Lounge was built in 1936 by the Magnolia (later to be Mobil) Oil Company.
Visitors during the Centennial Exposition used the lounge as a resting place where they could watch films and enjoy continuous entertainment as guest of the Magnolia Petroleum Co.
In 1947, the Magnolia Lounge took on a new life as theater artist Margo Jones' professional, regional theater, where plays were staged
"in-the-round." Over the next years, Jones produced 85 plays in the theater, including an original work by a then-unknown playwright named Tennessee Williams.
During the 1980s and 1990s, the lounge functioned as a visitors center for Fair Park. Friends of Fair Park raised the much needed funds
to renovate the Magnolia Lounge with the help of Virginia McAlester, the board, and many generous supporters. You can still contribute the Virginia McAlister Fund to help us continue the upkeep and repair of the Magnolia Lounge.
Today, the building houses the offices of the Friends of Fair Park. In addition, the Margo Jones Theatre space stages plays and can be rented rented out for theatre groups, parties, corporate functions, and more.
Click here to inquiry about renting the Magnolia Lounge.